Welcome to the city of Joy, Kolkata.
Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) is the capital of India’s West Bengal state. It is one of the most populated cities in India in the banks of river holy Ganga. As the former capital of British India, Kolkata retains a feast of colonial-era architecture .
Culture & Food:
Kolkata celebrate many festivals ,fair and pujas . Every months at least one is must. The famous Durga Puja in October draws many people to the city. Must visit Kolkata at the time of Durga Puja.
Kolkata is very passionate about sports, specially Football & Cricket. The crowd puller matches at Salt Lake Stadium and Eden Gardens.
The town is best known for local Bengali cuisine. Try the Macher Jhol (Fish curry), Bengali sweets, Do try Rashogulla, Chamcham, Rasmalai, Shondesh and other Bengali sweets. In winter must try Gurer sondes,Gurer rosogilla and Pithe. Apart from Bengali cuisine, one can also enjoy fine English cuisine, continental, North Indian cuisine, South Indian cuisine, Tibetan food, Mexican and Italian cuisine at various restaurants spread across the city.
Places to see:
1) Victoria memorial :The Victoria memorial is where Queen Victoria spent some years of her life. It’s a witness of British culture.
2) The Indian Museum : The oldest museum of India- The Indian Museum containing the only ‘Mummy’ in India amongst other valuable artifacts.
3)Eden Garden: Eden Gardens is a cricket ground in Kolkata. It has also been used for Association football matches.
4) Bellur Math Temple: It is the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda.
5)Birla Planetarium: Here you can experience the shows about sky and starts.
6)Nicco Park: Nicco Park is an amusement park .
7)Howrah Bridge: Howrah Bridge is a cantilever bridge with a suspended span over the Hooghly River in West Bengal.
8)Underground Metro: Kolkata is also popular for its underground metro, the first of its kind in India.
9) Science City: Kolkata is the largest science centre in the Indian subcontinent under National Council of Science Museums, Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
10)Jorasanko Thakur Bari: Jorasanko Thakur Bari is home of famous Author Rabindranath Tagore.
11)Swami Vivekananda’s Ancestral House: Ramakrishna Mission Swami Vivekananda’s Ancestral House and Cultural Centre is a museum and cultural centre.
12)St. John’s Church : St. John’s Church, originally a cathedral, was among the first public buildings erected by the East India Company after Kolkata became the effective capital of British India.
13)Eco Tourism Park: New Town Eco Park is an urban park in Rajarhat, Kolkata. The park is situated on a 480 acres plot and is surrounded by a 104 acres waterbody with an island in the middle.
14)Prinsep Ghat : Prinsep Ghats is a ghat built in 1841 during the British Raj, along the Kolkata bank of the Hooghly River in India.
15)Maidan : The Maidan also referred as Brigade Parade Ground is the largest urban park in Kolkata.
16)Rabindra Sarovar : is an artificial lake in south Kolkata
17) College Street (Boi Para): College Street is most famous for its small and big bookstores, which gives it the nickname Boi Para.
18) Botanical Garden
20) Eden Gardens:Eden Gardens is a cricket ground in Kolkata.
21) Salt Lake Stadium: Salt Lake Stadium or Yuva Bharati Krirangan is a multipurpose stadium with a current capacity of 68,000. It is the largest stadium in India by capacity.
22)Pareshnath Jain Temple: The temple was built by a Jain named Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim in 1867.
23)Birla Temple: It is a Hindu temple.
24)Dakshineswar Kali Temple: The famous Dakshineswar temple which houses the Goddess Kali was founded by Rani Rashmoni following a dream she saw .
25)Tipu Sultan Shahi Mosque
26) Kalighat Kali Temple: It is a Hindu temple. It is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas. Kalighat was a Ghat sacred to Kali on the old course of the Hooghly river.
27)Hoogly Bridge: is a toll bridge over the Hooghly River.
28) Indian Coffee House: Old memories still exixt.
30)Howrah Railway station: Howrah Junction railway station is the oldest station and largest railway complex in India with maximum number of platforms in the entire railway system of India, 23 platforms.